I saw this on FamilySearch a little bit ago – Quarantine Diary Prompts—How to Journal about the Historic Events of 2020: https://www.familysearch.org/blog/en/covid-diary-journal-prompt/. A bit longer in the original link.
We are living in historic times. Are you recording your experiences? Not only can journaling help you cope better with day-to-day life, but one day your family will be interested in knowing what it was like to live through the COVID-19 pandemic of 2020. If you haven’t already begun a COVID diary detailing your thoughts and experiences of this historic moment, below are a few journal prompts to get you started.
Think Back to the Beginning
It’s easy to forget to write about what life was like at the start of 2020, especially because so much has happened since January! Below are some journal prompts to jog your memory.
- Record when and where you were when you first heard about COVID-19.
Did your family or friends tell you? Did you first learn about it from the news?
- Reflect on your initial thoughts and feelings about the virus.
Have your feelings or perspective changed since you first learned about COVID-19?
Write about the New (Albeit Temporary) Normal
Depending on where you lived or other circumstances, you may have experienced unique disruptions to your daily life. Even if the disruptions are minor, record the ways in which your life changed during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- If you were a parent whose children were out of school, what was homeschooling like?
No shame if you had to refresh yourself on 5th-grade math.
- If you were a student whose school closed down, how did you feel about learning from home?
The year 2020 took homework to a whole new level.
- If you were an employee who worked from home, what was your daily schedule? How did it change compared to being in the office?
Bonus points if you include a tally of how many times you heard co-workers say “Sorry, you cut out” and “I think you’re on mute” during a teleconference.
- Did any of your plans change because of the pandemic?
Was a family vacation postponed? Did an event get canceled? Did you briefly contemplate buying a really cheap flight to another country?
- How did your hometown, city, region, or country respond to the pandemic?
Write about Daily Activities and Pastimes