It’s hard to believe it’s been so long since Dad passed away. It was about this time of the night when he died. I never know how the anniversary will hit me. In some years, it’s harder than others. In other years, I may miss the date if I am not paying attention to what the date is.
You can visit his grave on BillionGraves: https://billiongraves.com/headstone/Fredrick-Willard-Smith/843592 or Find-A-Grave: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/85161383/f-smit – has a photo taken after the birth of his first grandchild, my niece.
I covered a lot in this post from 2014 – 52 Ancestors Week 6 – Dad (Fred Smith 1929 – 1977) Happy Angel Day, and this post Happy Angel Day Dad February 7, 1977
I haven’t been to his grave since around February 2007 when I was down there doing Hurricane Katrina reconstruction. I am thankful that graving sites like BillionGraves and Find-A-Grave are available so I can visit his grave virtually.
From the 52 Ancestors post, here are some things Dad taught me:
- Be a man of your word.
- Respect others even if they don’t respect you.
- Customer service can make or break your business.
- The joy of visiting new places. This was years before the Internet made it so easy to find things and virtually visit places.
- Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.
- Vehicle maintenance is expensive, but cheaper than waiting until something breaks.
- His last lesson was unexpected – you never know how long you will live.
The above teachings were not by him saying these things, but by showing us these things.