I missed this on GEDmatch as I rarely read the updates when I logged in. In case others missed it, I made it this week’s DNA Saturdays post. If you upload more than 1 kit for yourself or another person, it’s best to make the other kits Research only or No Public Access as it reduces the number of slots available for those looking to see if that match other people.
As of June 1, the original GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis have now been merged. Even though you may still see some references to Genesis, there is only one site now: GEDmatch. THIS VIDEO explains some of the changes.
I knew they were going to merge GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis at some point. From a practical standpoint, nothing much has changed, other than logging into GEDmatch instead of GEDmatch Genesis. If you had been logging into GEDmatch before June 1, 2019, you couldn’t do certain things you will now be able to do. I am not a fan of some changes they made during the merge. Unless I missed something, you have to be a paying member of Tier 1 for certain things that used to be free.
You will need to be a member of Tier 1 (those who donate $10/month or more) to access the following things on GEDmatch:
Tier 1 (0)
- Enhanced One-To-Many DNA Comparison
- Q-Matching Enhanced One-To-One
- Segment Search
- Multiple Kit Analysis
- My Evil Twin (Phasing)
- Combine multiple kits into 1 superkit
- Clusters, Single Kit input, Basic Version
The options for Tier 1 billing include 1 month, 2 month, 3 month, 6 month, or 12 month access – non-renewing. You can also sign up using Monthly Auto Renewal through PayPal. You can also mail a check or money order if you don’t want to use PayPal.
- Basic GEDmatch® programs remain free and we plan to keep them this way. Purchase of a Tier 1 membership helps cover the costs associated with running this site, and will provide you with the benefit of using the additional Tier 1 tools for a period of time equal to one month for every $10.
- You may use the ‘Join Tier1’ button below, for a one-time payment of any amount, or the ‘Monthy Auto Renewal’ button to establish a recurring $10 per month amount.
- Information on canceling a recurring payments can be found HERE.
- If you do not wish to use PayPal, you can send your check or money order to GEDmatch, PO Box7448, 14280 S.Military Trail #1, Delray Beach, FL 33482. Please write your GEDmatch login email on your check.
- Thank you for your support of GEDmatch!
Past DNA Saturdays posts: https://upsdownsfamilyhistory.wordpress.com/tag/dna-saturdays/