I received this in an e-mail today: https://ancestralfindings.com/become-a-better-researcher/ (YouTube video link below in case there are issues with it in the link above) Six Steps to Become a Better Genealogy Researcher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVXqWrcS8zs (YouTube video).
1) Don’t Search Multiple Databases at Once
2) Only Look for One Piece of Information on an Ancestor at a Time
3) Use Wildcards in Your Searches
4) Try a Boolean Search
5) Go Beyond the Big Genealogy Websites*
6) Don’t Limit Yourself to the Internet**
The above items have more information in the the links above.
* Something that is easily overlooked by many genealogists.
** Many records are available online, but the estimates are only 5 – 10% are available online with the rest being off-line access. Some places may do better or worse than 5 – 10% online, but the numerous experts I follow go with 5 – 10%.